Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No need for the butcher after all - an update.

My birds FINALLY got the memo......I heard that glorious, glorious song this morning and when I went out to set the girls free for the day, there it was! The first, and long anticipated, egg of the year!
It looks kind of lonely in the basket............
But, that lonely little egg is FERTILE!!!!!

Can you see the lighter yellow "dot" to the left of the shiny spot? That dear reader is the very begining of a baby chicken. And, if I hadn't cracked this egg open, I could have put it in the incubator. Then, a short 21 days later and a baby chick would have pecked it's way out of the shell.  Here is another view..................

Do you see it? In this photo it looks more like a "bullseye" with a slightly lighter outer ring than center. That's how you know your rooster is "doing his job". Now, I'll collect some eggs and fill the incubator. Hatching season has arrived!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, you have just taught me something about fertilized eggs that I did not know. Bit new to this you see. Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Always happy to share all the random bits of information floating around in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi found you on BYC, I am from central KY. I have 11 7 wk old chickens and excited about the new additions. Looking forward to your knowledge about chickens.:)

    ReplyDelete